Friday, October 9, 2015

Piercings and Tattoos

Let's talk about piercings and tattoos. 

So what I have so far are five piercings and zero tattoos. I have two lobe piercings on each ear and a naval piercing. The double lobe piercings don't come as a surprise to most since girls my age and younger already have the double piercings. What does surprise many people is the naval piercing. I am a timid Asian girl who grew up in a conservative family, I am not much of a party type, and I do not dress in clothes that would show my midsection. And so, not many would expect that I have any body piercings. I actually like this. When people see my belly button ring either at the beach, the pool, in the girls locker room at the gym, it kinda gives them the "You judged a book by its cover didn't you?" punch. It's actually kinda sad that these aren't strangers that are the most surprised. They're friends. At least friends who are not that close to me. 

Those who judge me by how I present myself on the first few times we meet or talk are those who I would consider super judgemental. For example, my room-mate saw that I had a stuffed poop plushie, the stuffed unicorn from Despicable Me, and talked about an anime title I've heard of and assumed that I love Japanese culture and entertainment and that is all I like to do for entertainment: watch anime. First of all, I don't like Japanese or Asian television. I've never really gotten into it. Second, judgemental much? I don't even know a thing about Anime aside from what my friends talk about. 

Anyway, getting back on topic, I've always wanted another ear piercing. Since I was about twelve, I've always seen older girls with the helix cartilage pierced as well as the second lobe piercing. 

Photo from Sofisjewelryshop on Etsy
Many might think that I've already grown out of my "badass" wannabe stage since I've stopped wearing earrings in total, but that's because I have a very limited collection of earrings and I've left that limited collection at home. Oh and laziness to put on jewellery might contribute to the reason why I haven't been wearing any jewellery in a while. 

This brings me to another point. Does having piercings mean you're rebellious? I don't think so, but many of those around me do. I've been asked why I felt so rebellious when I got my bellybutton piercing and second lobe piercings. So does having piercings and tattoos make you rebellious/badass?

As for tattoos, I've never really been sure about getting a tattoo for myself but I've always found small tattoos in specific places very stylish. Ever since I've gotten pintrest a little over a year ago, I've liked the look of tattoos more and more.

If I were ever to get a tattoo, it would be:

A serotonin molecule-on my wrist
image from Pintrest

or the skyline of Toronto- on my side (rib area) or foot.
image from Pintrest 

Reasons? 

Well the serotonin molecule is because its cooler than the written words "stay calm" or "happiness" or "be happy". Remembering to be happy is sometimes difficult for everyone because it's easy to focus on the negatives of life when it is only a very small part of it.

As for the Toronto skyline, I've had so many memories in Toronto. If I were to end up anywhere else I'd still want to remember this city.

From the looks of it, I may actually end up getting a tattoo or two. I'm still a young adult so I have lots of time for self persuasion or dissuasion. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik